Saturday, October 16, 2004

In Search Of The Perfect Install, Part 1

I finally recieved (i.e. stole) three machines so I could try and set up the triumverate(SQL Server 2005, Team Foundation, and VS2005 Beta 1). First off, yes the machines are woefully underpowered, but beggers can't be choosers. They should still limp along well enough to evaluate the software. As an example of their under-poweredness, all three machines run at speeds less than 1GHz, and two of the machines have hard drives with less than 10GB space.

Should anyone feel like donating any machines to my cause, feel free! ;)

I decided to install VS2005 first, figuring it would be the easiest of the bunch. I install Windows XP SP 1a. No Problem. I install Word, Excel, and Project. No Problem( Thanks MSDN Universal!). I install VS2005 Beta 1, following the instructions. No Problem.

"This is GREAT!" I think.

Well, the install went great, so lets open up VS2005 and see what it looks like. I click on the icon and the splash screen opens. So far so good. Then I get the following error message:

Package 'VSDesignerPackage' has failed to load properly (GUID = {808529D3-625D-4496-8354-3DAD630ECC1B}.) Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'denenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading."


I am presented with Yes/No buttons, and I choose NO

I get the same message again and I choose NO.

The application opened. Of course, now I am a little scared.

I decided to create a new ASP.NET web site( cause ASP.NET is da bomb!). I select File->New->Web Site->ASP.NET Web Site, and I get the following error message:

The format of the file 'System.Window.Forms, version=2.0.3600.0, culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' is invalid.


I clicked the OK button, and am returned to the IDE.

So at this point, I do a google search on the above error messages, where I find a couple of people have had the same thing happen to them. Apparently though, MS has not been able to reproduce the error effectively, so the only solution at this point is to reformat and reinstall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home