Saturday, October 16, 2004

In Search Of The Perfect Install, Part 2

I obtained a slightly better machine, so I am replacing the oldest of my machines with this one, which will be the SQL Server. For those who really care, my oldest machine's processor started with a PII, and the MHz started with a 2. I would like to point out, however, that SQL Server 2005 did install on the machine, and ran, albeit slowly, but it ran. But I digress.

Warning: for the next several posts, I may be attempting to discuss some networking topics. I am a programmer. Therefor, if I say something that is a blatent lie, it's just because I am stupid about some networking stuff. Ok, a lot of it, but that is why I have an MVP here at work (Congratulations to John Hann, who was just awarded it!) who I can bribe to help me.

Dang, two paragraphs and I still haven't gotten to my topic. Sometimes I ramble. Deal.

A quick mention about my setup. I have three machines, connected through a hub. They are on their own little network, and are not connected to our main network at all. My laptop is the only machine that has a DVD drive in it, so I connect my laptop into the hub to install things off the DVD.

I decided to take a different approach to my install this time. Let's tackle the SQL Server first. Installed Windows Server 2003 Standard on this machine. (Thank you again MSDN Universal!). First thing I did not think of was that Windows will want to register itself, and none of these machines have Internet access. Oh well, I'll try and deal with that before my 60 days runs out. No problem with the Windows install. Then I just followed the install instructions for the database tier. I set up IIS and installed SQL Server 2005.

I rebooted, voila, there was SQL Server. I feel much better about myself now, after my previous attempt at VS2005.

I haven't completely decided if I like the new Enterprise Manager, or whatever it is called now. I'm sure I will be using it a good bit, so we'll see how the interface grows on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home