Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Testing Time Bomb

ComputerWorld has an opinion piece about testing:

Here's the detonator: If a new release adds just 10% to the existing code base, the amount of testing that's required to be sure the new stuff works, and everything that used to work still does, is 110% of the previous release -- yet the time and resources applied to testing all of this functionality are at best flat release over release, and more likely declining. And, it was never more than a fraction of the development effort to begin with.


I liked her position that semantics does matter, and that we should possible call regression testing something else. Her idea of "operational assurance" is just as good as anything I can come up with.

Of course, with testing tools like Team System, we can always make sure we cover our bases! (Had to put the plug in there!)

2 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Incredible blog. I admired your site and I will be
back once again to view it! I use much of my spare
time searching for blogs like yours.
You must peep out my Management Software blog.

2:48 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Please proceed to my blog when you find the time.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home