Monday, December 20, 2004

Software Factories

Jack Greenfield, one of the authors of the Software Factories book, now has a blog.

In his first post, he refers to a blog entry by Grady Booch, concerning Microsot and Domain Specific Languages.

I will be the first to admit that, after reading Mr. Greenfield's blog, I did not catch half of what he was saying. After re-reading it, I believe the point he is making is that UML is not designed to be the end-all be-all for solving problems, and that it is not the best solution for model-driven-development. Having never used UML, I really can't comment one way or the other. I do know that the OMG is pushing it as a MDD standard though. I also know that Microsoft has a push going on for Domain Specific Languages (DSL), which I have also not been able to wrap my head around. If anyone can point me to some resources, which can explain this in English without the use of esoteric terms, that would be great.

I will also admit that I am having a hard time grasping the whole "Software Factory" concept as laid out by Microsoft. I think my biggest hang-up is in the word "Factory". I think I am taking the use of that word one way, when they mean it differently. I need to do some more research on this before I stick my foot too far in my mouth.

I can't wait for the next CTP of VSTS, so I can hopefully get down and dirty with all this cool stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home