Friday, January 28, 2005

My First Foray Into VSTS

WARNING: This may be kind of a long post. I'm actually going to split it over several posts, I think. Also, I have included links to my pictures instead of the actual pictures themselves, because I haven't figured out if Blogger will allow me to upload pictures to it yet (AKA: haven't even researched it yet). I tried to not make the pictures too big, and still make them readable, so I hope it all turns out ok.

I cranked up all three of my VPC sessions, and logged them in. I started VS2005. My Team Explorer window was already docked on the left of my IDE, from where I had initially connected it last time. (See installation instructions for that part).

Figure 1 - In The IDE

In Team Explorer, I clicked the "New Team Project" button. This opens the New Team Project Wizard

Figure 2 - New Team Project Wizard

I considered for a second naming my project HelloWorld, but I just couldn't do it! So I entered "IAmGumbi" as the name of the project, and "My First VSTS Project" as the description. I then clicked the Next button, which took me to the Select A Process Template screen.

Figure 3 - Select A Process Template

My only choice in the DDLB (Drop Down List Box for the non-programmers out there) was MSF Agile (which is something I am interested in, but again has not made it to the top of the "need to look at now" stack), so I selected it and clicked Next. This opens the Specify Settings For Project Portal screen of the wixard.

Figure 4 - Specify Settings For Project Portal

There is already default information entered on this screen for you. The Team Project Portal Title defaults to the Team Project name entered earlier. The Team Project Portal Description defaults to the description you entered earlier. This screen also shows you the Team Project Portal Address, which is http:///sites/. This address is not editable. I accepted the defaults and clicked Next, which opens the Specify Source Control Settings screen.

Figure 5 - Specify Source Control Settings

There are three options on this screen


  • Create An Empty Version Control Folder - This is the default.

  • Create A New Version Control Branch - This option is grayed out right now

  • Do Not Create A Version Control Folder At This time - Pretty self-explanatory, I think



I took the default, and clicked Next. This opens the Confirm Team Project Settings screen.

Figure 6 - Confirm Team Project Settings

Everything looked good, so I clicked the Finish button. A progress bar appears, and the Team Project is created. On my laptop, using 3 VPCs, it took about 12 minutes to create. Here are some of the phrases that popped up on the progress bar during that time:


  • Downloading Process Template

  • Groups and Permissions Created

  • WorkItemType for Bug Uploaded

  • WorkItemType for Task Uploaded

  • WorkItemType for QoS Uploaded

  • WorkItemType for Scenario Uploaded

  • WorkItems Uploaded

  • Queries Uploaded

  • Source Control Created

  • Doc Templates uploaded to project site

  • Process Guidance uploaded to project site

  • Project Site Created



Figure 7 - Team Project Created

Great! My project was created. I decided to take the defaults and click Close. I think that is what led to the next two images. I have not confirmed this yet, but I'll bet that if I had unchecked View Process Guidance Page, I would not have gotten the error message that follows.

Figure 8 - Online Help Settings

This window opened up. I decided to take the default (Use online Help as primary source), because it said it would go to local help if I was not connected to the Internet (which I am not). I agreed to the Privacy Policy, and clicked OK.

Figure 9 - Error Message

The Help Application tried to open, and I recieved the above error message. I just hit Continue, and closed the Help application, and I was back in my IDE.

And Voila! I have successfully created my first Team System Project!

Figure 10 - My First Team System Project

In my next post, I'll show you some screen shots of what's in all those folders, as well as go into creating my first coding project, and tying it to my VSTS project.

16 Comments:

Blogger Marketing man said...

You have a nice blog here! I will be sure to book mark you.
I have a client cpa email marketing newsletter site. It pretty much covers client cpa email marketing newsletter related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

6:46 PM  
Blogger vente said...

Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

Merci pour est un bon blogger.

8:29 AM  
Blogger vente said...

Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

Merci pour est un bon blogger.

8:33 AM  
Blogger emily said...

Wow - you're blog is full of good info. It's getting hard to find blogs with useful content and people talking about Change Management these days. I have just started my Latest Change Management News blog and would really appreciate you coming by - thanks again

12:13 PM  
Blogger anna said...

I appreciate your information on Change Management. I just bookmarked your site and will be back regulalry to keep on top of it. Please check out my blog on Change Management Exposed - I'd really appreciate it

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about affiliate email marketing marketing mlm You should check it out sometime.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey great blog. check out my newest software site for all of your newest software needs.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a info products site. It pretty much covers info selling related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what a really good download mcafee virusscan 2-user blog you got here!. I too have a download mcafee virusscan 2-user related site that I think would be of interest to your readers. Would love your feedback

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about notebook memory and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about notebook memory so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by http://www.notebook-memory-deals.info

4:24 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a marketing payplan program safelist site/blog. It pretty much covers marketing payplan program safelist related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about email internet marketing service related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Goji Juice said...

Hello everyone! ... sorry I'm a newbie, how does this blog thing work? I bought some products from this store: www.eBookLovers.com but too dumb to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've Made My First Affiliate Commission!

See How I Did It Here - It's Quick And Easy!

product key

12:38 AM  
Blogger Goodman441 said...

I would like to say this is a great blog about online sport book affiliate. I think alot of you might be interested in my site too. Click the Link below to visit my site.
Click Here

Thanks!

5:04 AM  
Anonymous ecommercewebmaster12 said...

As a top-rated company in the world of ecommerce, Infyecommercesolution has carved out a niche for itself and with the ecommerce solution provided by the company receiving accolades from clients all over the world, it has, in the true sense of the word, grown up to be a top-notch outsourcing software development company. For details on all the services provided by the company, visit http://www.infyecommercesolution.com.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home