Thursday, February 03, 2005

Creating A Project And Adding It To Source Control

In VS2005, I selected File->New->Project. Under Project Types I chose Visual C#, and Windows Application. I entered "HelloGumbi" as the project name, and did NOT check the "Add to Source Control" checkbox. I clicked the OK button to create the project:

Figure 1 - New Project Window

The new project was created and displayed in the Solution Explorer. I right-clicked on the solution, and selected "Add To Source Control". This opened the "Add Solution To Hatteras" window:

Figure 2 - Add Solution To Hatteras Window

It defaults to the Team Project I have already created. The folder name defaults to the solution name of my project. I took the defaults and clicked the Next button. This opens the next page of the wizard:

Figure 3 - Add Solution To Hatteras Step 2

On this windows you can change the name of the repository folders, if you want to. I took the defaults and clicked Finish. A progress window opens, showing the progess of adding the project into the version control system. Once the project has been added, the progess window closes, and the IDE looks as follows:

Figure 4 - IDE After Adding Project To Source Control

Notice all the files have + signs beside them in the solution explorer. They are waiting to be checked in. In the Pending Checkin window at the bottom of the IDE, I click the Checkin button. I recieve a message telling me to add a value to the Code Reviewer, so I did this and clicked the Checkin button again. My files were checked into Hatteras, and the IDE now looks like this:

Figure 5 - IDE State After Check In

Notice the little blue locks by the files in the Solution Explorer, showing they are currently checked into Hatteras.

Up Next: I start trying to check out files.

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Just wanted to leave you a comment to thank you for doing this Blog - it is great to hear the experiences of people getting to grips with VSTS for the first time. I am about to start evaluating VSTS so will be following in your footsteps, I dare say I'll be posting more comments soon!!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Goji Juice said...

Hello everyone! ... sorry I'm a newbie, how does this blog thing work? I bought some products from this store: www.eBookLovers.com but too dumb to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7:54 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
finding blogs as good as your site.
Check out my Staffing Software blog, you won't be sorry!

5:29 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Captivating blog. I love surfing the web for the
type of blogs that you do. It had me on the edge of my
seat and I kept going back to again and again!
Go and click my blog.

5:43 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
finding blogs as good as your site.
I beg of you, just check out my Staffing Software blog.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home