Tuesday, February 08, 2005

This And That...

Peter Varhol - Microsoft Team System Combines Established With New

I find this to be an interesting post. I do disagree with him on a couple of things.


First, the bulk of these features work only with code developed in Visual Studio 2005


Not trying to sound too flippant, but I think that is pretty obvious. I agree that for some teams, it may take them a while to move to VS2005. For my department (which is a small department, I admit), we are already making plans to move to it as soon as it is released.


Second, as a first release, the Team System will lack the reliability and breadth of features that will make it truly useful


I completely disagree with this statement. I have only scratched the surface in my testing of the December CTP, but from what I have seen, and what I have read on blogs and other sources, I feel VSTS will make an impact out of the box. Heck, just the version control aspect has me all excited, because it is SOOOOOOO much easier than what we are currently using. And all the task and project management tasks are going to allow my little developer shop to be more productive, without an excessive overhead. (at least, that is the plan!)

I think that development groups will be able to take the pieces that they like of VSTS, and make them work for them. And I don't think that Microsoft is abandoning the individual or small group developers. Obviously, as an individual developer, there is a lot of VSTS that you probably would not use. But then again, it is there if you want to use it (and I am geeky enough that I probably would). I don't believe MS is going to leave anyone in its community behind, because lately they are making a big push to include the community.

Let's keep the excitement about VSTS up. Its going to be a great product!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a lot of useful info about Change Management on your blog - thank you. I also have a new Change Management Tips blog - please click over and have a look

10:05 AM  
Blogger marissa said...

Wow - you're blog is full of good info. It's getting hard to find blogs with useful content and people talking about Project Management these days. I have just started my Latest Project Management News blog and would really appreciate you coming by - thanks again

2:59 PM  
Blogger jordan said...

I really enjoyed the content on your blog about Project Management will be back very frequently! I actually have my own Project Management Exposed blog with all kinds of stuff in it. You�re welcome to com by

3:25 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Found a lot of useful info on your site about Project Management - thank you. Haven't finished reading it yet but have bookmarked it so I don't lose it. I've just started a Project Management blog myself if you'd like to stop by

5:34 PM  
Anonymous synergy/change said...

Hi Mickey G., I was just blog surfing and found you! Wow, I really like this one.
It’s such a pleasure to read your post …. Interesting! I was over at another site

looking at synergy

and they didn't go into as much detail as you, but nonetheless interesting.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home