Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Why change a good thing...

Sometimes change is a good thing. And sometimes you should just leave well enough alone. I adhere to the latter statement concerning creating a new project in VS 2005, specifically, creating a new web project.

To recap my adventure so far, I have Team System up and running using VPCs, and I have created a Team Project. My next step is to create an actual project to do some work in. So I click the New Project button, and the New Project window opens.

Figure 1 - New Project window

I click the + sign beside Visual C#, and begin looking through my template options, looking for ASP.NET. After going through the list twice, I realize its not there. "Oh my", I think to myself (at least, that's the G-rated version of what I think), "did I install something wrong? Where are the ASP.NET templates?".

I cancel out of the window, and then select File->New->Project. The same window opens as above. No ASP.NET option.

I go back to the File->New menu option. That's when I notice that under the New option, there is a choice for Project, and another choice for Website. Under the Website choice are what is needed to create an ASP.NET website.

I think I understand why they did it this way. Logically, in some respects, it makes sense. But at the same time, when I click the "NEW PROJECTS" button, or go File->New->Projects, I expected to be able to create any kind of C# project, as I could in VS2003. So while I understand logically why they split it out this way, I don't like it. I wish you would let me be able to select an ASP.NET project from the New Projects dialog window.

I decided to go ahead and create a Windows Form app, just for the heck of it. I have not built one before (I'm an ASP.NET kinda guy), so I figured it would be a learning experience in several ways.

Tune in next time to see me create this new project and add it to the source control.

3 Comments:

Blogger jasmine said...

I appreciate your information on Change Management. I just bookmarked your site and will be back regulalry to keep on top of it. Please check out my blog on Change Management Exposed - I'd really appreciate it

7:12 AM  
Anonymous change said...

Thanks. Take a look at www.innertalk.com for change made easy.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous managing change said...

Hi Mickey G., I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited synergy/change
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home