Wednesday, April 06, 2005

OK, I Need Some Help...

Ok, I need some help from the three people (ok, maybe there are more than three, but you never know. Rob might just be hitting refresh over and over again to mess with my stats. But I digress...) who read my blog. Here is the crux of the matter:

What kind of Frickin' permissions do you have to have to be able to add a website into source control?

Short Version:

Created a Team Project using my user who is in the Namespace Administrator group. Created myself a new domain user, and set that user into the Project Administrator group for the Team Project I just created. When I try to open the source control viewer, I get this error message:

"Access Denied: User VSTS\Developer1 needs the UseSystem global permission(s)"

But with my TFSSetup user, who is in the Global\Namespace Administrator group, everything works fine. And I can't find this UseSystem global permission anywhere. Any ideas?


LONG VERSION:

Everything I have been doing so far in Team System, I have been logged in as the TFSSetup user. This user has administrative rights on all the VPCs, and is set up in the Global\Namespace Administrators group in Team Foundation. I'll blog later on the different default groups and such. Basically, the Namespace Administrators group can do pretty much everything.

I created myself a new domain user, called Developer1. I gave him Power User rights on the VPC which runs VS2005, but no specific rights on any of the other servers.

While logged in as TFSSetup, I created myself a new Team Project, called StarWars1 (warning, be prepared for very goofy names in future blog posts.) I opened Team Explorer, went to the project settings for StarWars1, and added Developer1 to the StarWars1\Contributor role. I then logged out and logged back in as Developer1.

I opened VS2005, and opened Team Explorer. It opens with no projects displayed, as expected. I right-click and select Add Team Project, select StarWars1, and click OK. The StarWars1 project is added into Team Explorer. I then select File->New->Website, and select ASP.NET Web Site, to create a new web site. I left the Location set to File System, "My Documents\Visual Studio\WebSites\deathstar". I selected C# as my language, clicked OK, and it created my ASP.NET web site. Everything is looking good.

In the Solution Explorer window, I right-clicked on the deathstar project, and selected "Add Solution To Source Control". Nothing happened. No window popped up, no error message, nothing. So I tried to open the Source Control Explorer window. I recieved the following error message:

"Access Denied: User VSTS\Developer1 needs the UseSystem global permission(s)"

Ok, so my Developer1 user doesn't have the ability to add the project into source control, especially since he can't even open the Source Control Explorer. I log out and log back in as TFSSetup. I move Developer1 from the StarWars1\Contributor role to the StarWars1\Project Administrators role. I log out and log back in as Developer1. I open VS2005, and try to open the Source Control Explorer window. Same error.

So I log out and log back in as TFSSetup. I open the deathstar web site that I created earlier. I right-click on the project and select "Add Solution To Source Control". It asked me to save the solution file, which I did. It then opened the "Add Solution To Hatteras" dialog.




I selected "vsts-tf" (my application tier server), as the server from the DDLB. I left the workspace as its default, "VSTS-VS2005". I selected StarWars1, which highlighted it. I kept the default folder as "deathstar". When I selected StarWars1, it changed the "Solution will be added to:" to be "$/StarWars1/deathstar". I clicked the Next button. The "Add Solution to Hatteras" dialog appears:




I took the defaults and clicked "Finish".

And apparently it seemed to work. Which shows that you at least need some of the rights that a Namespace Administrator has, in order to add a project to the source control.

Here is what my IDE now looks like at this point:




Notice the "+" beside Default.aspx. This indicates a newly added file. If you look at the Pending Checkin window at the bottom of the screen, you see all the files waiting to be checked in. I clicked the Check In button to check them in.




Notice the little blue lock beside Default.aspx, showing it is checked in. Notice there are no files in the Pending Checkin window now.

At this point, I logged out and logged back in as Developer1. If I just try and open the project directly from File->Open->Website, and navigate to the directory, the website opens, but it does not open in source control.

If I select File->Source Control->Open From Source Control, nothing happens. No windows open, nothing. I then tried to open the Source Control Explorer, and received the same UseSystem global permissions error.

I logged out and logged back in as TFSSetup. I went to the permissions for the StarWars1 project, and set the Contributor group to have "Allow" on all permissions listed. I removed Developer1 from the Project Administrator group and added them back to the Contributor group. I logged out and logged back in as Developer1, and received the same error when I tried to open the Source Control Explorer window.

So, I am back to my original question:

What kind of Frickin' permissions do you have to have to be able to add a website into source control? Or at least be able to access the Source Control Explorer window?

Anyone have any ideas?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Martin said...

Currently the only way I can get a user to do anything (even just be able to be assigned a work item) is by giving them Admin rights on the VPC running VSTS.

Hopefully somone else will post something more helpful...

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll need to fix the permissions by using the permission command in h.exe.

h permission /group:GroupName /allow:UseSystem /global

where GroupName is the "friendly name" of the group; e.g., StarWars1\Contributor

You'll be happy to know that it's fixed in the current code.

Buck

8:58 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Cool blog. I dig your site outline and I plan on
returning again! I just love finding blogs like this
when I have the time.
I can't explain, but you need to check my applicant tracking software blog!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home